To register for an account, click here...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

anyone use online backup websites ??

i have a desktop computer with an attached external hard drive. my wife has a laptop that she uses for photography. im considering using and online backup website like carbonite, or mozy. but they seem to charge extra for the external hard drive.

im curious if anyone else is using these services and if so, what are your experiences ?

a few years ago we had a computer crash and we lost years of photos of my children, their births, wedding photos etc... we were able to recover some of them, but the majority were lost for good. im trying to prevent this from happening again.....

thanks !

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    You might want to check out SOS Online Backup. For home use you can backup up to 5 PCs, up to 50GB for $79.95. They have higher storage packages available too. I've personally not used the home version, but I have a business client who uses the business version and I can vouch for good tech support response. If you browse around their website for a few minutes you'll get a popup offering 20% off their packages. And no, I have no affiliation with them.
    Dave

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Dude if u already have a external HDD then connect it to ur router and tell windows to back up to that. Only works on vista and later, though, so if you have XP or earlier I would recommend SOS.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i dont want to back up windows, i want to backup the data that is on the HDD.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    He didn't mean "back up windows." He's talking about connecting the external drive to a router with a USB port for sharing drives. However, this is still a local backup solution. If you have a computer & external drive theft, or fire or other natural disaster that destroys the external drive too, you've lost your backup. That's the beauty of online backup. It's all a matter of how important your files are to you and how much risk you're willing to take.
    Dave

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I back up to an external HDD and then to Carbonite. An external HDD is great, but they can fail and if there is a disaster in the house, that can take out your backup. Carbonite has saved me a couple of times. Unlimited amount of backup for I believe $59.95 per year. I also like that when running Carbonite, it does realtime backups. Instead of hourly or whatever, it constantly looks at the drive and backs up as changes are seen. I would definitely recommend it.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Yeah jkhonea is right. I'd go with him. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have spent the evening researching ad it appears carbonate is my best option. The cost to backup an external hard drive plus one computer with unlimited space is 99.00 a year. I have a ton of photos and videos of my family events and will probably need about 300gb. Carbonate seems to be the only group left with unlimited storage for that reasonable of a rate.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Post back later and let us know how it worked out for you. Always good to get feedback on things like this. Best of luck.
    Dave

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i think im gonna bite the bullet this weekend. i will report back with how things go if i do.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links