To register for an account, click here...
    Member #

How to create own text tones for iPhone 3G (iOS 4.2.1)?

I have joined this forum as I initially want to create my own text tone from an MP3 or M4R/M4A file, as I have already for ringtones.

I have encountered two problems with this, which didn't arise with ringtones;
    (a) syncing the phone with iTunes having created an m4r ringtone file places the file in the phone's ringtone list, but I cannot see any way to force it into the text tone list, and
    (b) even when I've got it into the ringtone list, when played it appears to play too fast, sounding tinny and not at all as it does in iTunes. The duration of the sound is about 2 seconds when played normally.

Can anyone advise me how to use this file as a text tone selectable on the iPhone?

Ta.

Sam

PS I can process the file and change its file format with Audacity, if necessary. That's how I created it in the first place.

Administrator
    Game Center ID
    Unleashed83
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    you dont need to force it in any list as when you chose a sms tone you can chose from the ringtones so just put -sms at the end of the tones and select from the ringtone list would be the best way.
    iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey (Factory Unlocked)
    iPhone 5c 32GB Blue (Factory Unlocked)
    iPhone 5 64GB White (Factory Unlocked)

iPhone 4 32GB Black (Factory Unlocked)

iPad Air 128GB WiFi + 4G

Firmware: What ever the latest one is: 7.XX

Unleashed@iphoneforums.net

Forum Rules

Member #
    Thanks, Unleashed, for your prompt reply.
    However, I'm not clear what you mean when you say 'put -sms at the end of the tones'. Do you mean make .sms the 'extension' of the filename, instead of .m4r? I have not been able to find the list of text tones on the iPhone, so I don't know how they're formatted.
    Sam

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by samdottore View Post
    I have joined this forum as I initially want to create my own text tone from an MP3 or M4R/M4A file, as I have already for ringtones.

I have encountered two problems with this, which didn't arise with ringtones;
    (a) syncing the phone with iTunes having created an m4r ringtone file places the file in the phone's ringtone list, but I cannot see any way to force it into the text tone list, and
    (b) even when I've got it into the ringtone list, when played it appears to play too fast, sounding tinny and not at all as it does in iTunes. The duration of the sound is about 2 seconds when played normally.

Can anyone advise me how to use this file as a text tone selectable on the iPhone?

Ta.

Sam

PS I can process the file and change its file format with Audacity, if necessary. That's how I created it in the first place.
    Type in "Text tone"on the app store search. Once downloaded choose what type of sound you want then give it your email and it sends the file with instructions to sync with iTunes to create text message tones. Also "Ringtone" app does the same thing but you can also do ringtones as well as text tones from music you already have on your phone. Very easy instructions are given and converts to the appropriate file for you.

Hope this helps.

iHolophyte
    iHolophyte

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links