To register for an account, click here...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Battery Maintenance.>Should I drain before rechargng?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1
    Member #
    52950

    Battery Maintenance.>Should I drain before rechargng?

    Should I drain my iPhone 4s battery before recharging? I've had the phone for about a week and I keep recharging it when the battery indicator is about half...is that bad?



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    566
    Member #
    38896
    Liked
    8 times
    you should let it get down to about 2 or 3 percent and then charge it all the way back up..not good for it to be charging it when its gets to half way
    black iphone4s

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    7,033
    Member #
    11607
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bmahony View Post
    you should let it get down to about 2 or 3 percent and then charge it all the way back up..not good for it to be charging it when its gets to half way
    Wrong. This will be long but here i go... It doesn't matter at all how you recharge your iPhone battery, you can recharge it from 80% you can recharge it from 40% you can recharge it from 5% to 25% stop the recharge at 25% and later recharge it again. Your battery will be just fine and like Steve said "It just works". With that being said, it's highly advice to perform a complete cycle at least once in a month (the battery need to exercise to stay healthy), a complete cycle is that you have to run drain the battery juice from 100% to 0% and charge it back from 0% to 100% (it's advice to do so if you do not use the phone everyday so the battery can exercise at least once in a month and recalibrate the battery percentage reading) but that's not all of it, it's not NECESSARY to one who use the iDevice everyday to draining the battery from 100% all the way down to 1% and then recharge it till 100% again. (remember, the main point is to have the battery running, it doesn't matter how). Perform a complete cycle at least once in a month also mean that you should at least arrive to drain 100% of battery life out from the battery and charge it 100% back again which means that let's say you have 100% before leave home Monday morning, in the evening you back home and battery is at 80% (used 20%) cause you didn't really use the phone, but you plug it in and charge. In the Tuesday morning you have 100% (charged back in 20%) before leaving home and come back home with 30% (used 70%) you plug it in and recharge till 100% (charge back in 70%). Wednesday evening you come back home with 90% remaining (used 10%) you plug it in to recharge till 100% (charge back in 10%)
    If you sum up all the usage % here you have 100% of usage during those 3days, same to the charge back in. At that point, you have complete one full cycling of the battery which is also fully comparable to if you drain from 100% to 0% then charge back to 100% again. Know that your iPhone battery is having 100 of complete cycles available, after that 100 complete cycles, your battery will lose some of its power and will no longer hold 100% of charge as it used to. So while apple advice 1 complete cycle a month, you will hardly burn 100 cycle in a year if you are like me. But when you deliberately decide to drain out battery life to 0 or 2% then fully recharge it, you are using and killing way faster your battery cycles, one thing is sure, after 100 cycles your battery will hold only 90 or 80% of charge.
    I do not understand why many of you think that I must drain from 100 to 2 or 3% and charge back to 100% to have a good battery, and do not understand why it's bad to recharge the battery when it's at 70% when you know that the kind of battery in your iPhone is nowhere affected with memory stuff.
    Now what a business man/woman in all his/her right mind want to take care of an iPhone battery and pay attention to when to charge it and when to not charge it? Apple target businessers who need things to work and easy to handle and to interact with, Apple's batteries come first on the list in that care point.
    For the record, I'm having a really amazing battery life experience with my iPhone, and my MacBook pro, and never I have followed those rumors asking to avoid charging this and that and what so ever.
    My 2cents.
    Last edited by bab2010; 01-09-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    PapaNoHair likes this.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    23
    Member #
    49270
    Liked
    1 times
    I think one reason for doing a complete cycle once in a while is to keep the battery monitor calibrated.

    My phone was shutting down at 10% remaining and I was advised by someone on here to perform a couple of complete drain and charge cycles. So far it seems to have helped.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    566
    Member #
    38896
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bab2010

    Wrong. This will be long but here i go... It doesn't matter at all how you recharge your iPhone battery, you can recharge it from 80% you can recharge it from 40% you can recharge it from 5% to 25% stop the recharge at 25% and later recharge it again. Your battery will be just fine and like Steve said "It just works". With that being said, it's highly advice to perform a complete cycle at least once in a month, a complete cycle is not necessary draining the battery from 100% all the way down to 1% and then recharge it till 100% again. Perform a complete cycle at least once in a month also mean that you should at least arrive to drain 100% of battery life out from the battery and charge it 100% back again which means that let's say you have 100% before leave home Monday morning, in the evening you back home and battery is at 80% (used 20%) cause you didn't really use the phone, but you plug it in and charge. In the Tuesday morning you have 100% (charged back in 20%) before leaving home and come back home with 30% (used 70%) you plug it in and recharge till 100% (charge back in 70%). Wednesday evening you come back home with 90% remaining (used 10%) you plug it in to recharge till 100% (charge back in 10%)
    If you sum up all the usage % here you have 100% of usage during those 3days, same to the charge back in. At that point, you have complete one full cycling of the battery which is also fully comparable to if you drain from 100% to 0% then charge back to 100% again.
    I do not understand why many of you think that I must drain from 100 to 2 or 3% and charge back to 100% to have a good battery, and do not understand why it's bad to recharge the battery when it's at 70% when you know that the kind of battery in your iPhone is nowhere affected with memory stuff.
    Now what a business man in all his/her right mind want to take care of an iPhone battery and pay attention to when to charge it and when to not charge it? Apple target businessers who need things to work and easy to handle and to interact with, Apple's batteries come first on the list in that care point.
    For the record, I'm having a really amazing battery life experience with my iPhone, and my MacBook pro, and never I have followed those rumors asking to avoid charging this and that and what so ever.
    My 2cents.
    Thats some long reply I like it though

    Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net
    black iphone4s

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    1,425
    Member #
    38513
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bab2010 View Post
    Wrong. This will be long but here i go... It doesn't matter at all how you recharge your iPhone battery, you can recharge it from 80% you can recharge it from 40% you can recharge it from 5% to 25% stop the recharge at 25% and later recharge it again. Your battery will be just fine and like Steve said "It just works". With that being said, it's highly advice to perform a complete cycle at least once in a month, a complete cycle is not necessary draining the battery from 100% all the way down to 1% and then recharge it till 100% again. Perform a complete cycle at least once in a month also mean that you should at least arrive to drain 100% of battery life out from the battery and charge it 100% back again which means that let's say you have 100% before leave home Monday morning, in the evening you back home and battery is at 80% (used 20%) cause you didn't really use the phone, but you plug it in and charge. In the Tuesday morning you have 100% (charged back in 20%) before leaving home and come back home with 30% (used 70%) you plug it in and recharge till 100% (charge back in 70%). Wednesday evening you come back home with 90% remaining (used 10%) you plug it in to recharge till 100% (charge back in 10%)
    If you sum up all the usage % here you have 100% of usage during those 3days, same to the charge back in. At that point, you have complete one full cycling of the battery which is also fully comparable to if you drain from 100% to 0% then charge back to 100% again.
    I do not understand why many of you think that I must drain from 100 to 2 or 3% and charge back to 100% to have a good battery, and do not understand why it's bad to recharge the battery when it's at 70% when you know that the kind of battery in your iPhone is nowhere affected with memory stuff.
    Now what a business man in all his/her right mind want to take care of an iPhone battery and pay attention to when to charge it and when to not charge it? Apple target businessers who need things to work and easy to handle and to interact with, Apple's batteries come first on the list in that care point.
    For the record, I'm having a really amazing battery life experience with my iPhone, and my MacBook pro, and never I have followed those rumors asking to avoid charging this and that and what so ever.
    My 2cents.
    Can you just go through that again please? (Laughs out loud)


    iHolophyte
    iHolophyte

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    566
    Member #
    38896
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iHolophyte

    Can you just go through that again please? (Laughs out loud)

    iHolophyte
    Writing all that must have used a lot of battery

    Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net
    black iphone4s

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    7,033
    Member #
    11607
    Liked
    63 times
    I re-edited my previous very long post I added some more info into it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    7,033
    Member #
    11607
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bmahony View Post
    Writing all that must have used a lot of battery

    Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net
    Well I'm at home, so no worries, plus I can recharge it anytime, I do not need to wait till battery reach 2 or 3% before btw let me plug it now before I forget.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    1,425
    Member #
    38513
    Liked
    18 times
    Well we all loved your exceptionally long post 😄


    iHolophyte
    iHolophyte


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. I might have found something on battery drain
    By Yptcn in forum iPhone 4S Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2011, 11:40 AM
  2. battery drain
    By white4s in forum iPhone 4S Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 09:58 AM
  3. Battery Drain 4.2.8 on IP 4
    By mds93 in forum Verizon iPhone
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 12:57 AM
  4. Battery drain on 4.3.3
    By Omarsafadi in forum iPhone 3GS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 06:26 AM
  5. Battery drain
    By Little Girl in forum iPhone Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Search tags for this page

do you need to drain a new phone battery down before charging
,
drain battery before charging
,
how far should an iphone batter drain before charging?
,
iphone 5s does the battery have to go to empty before recharging
,

iphone battery maintenance

,
is it better to let your should i let iphone battery drain before recharging
,
should i let my ipad battery drain before i charge it
,
should i let my iphone barttery run down to empty
,
should you drain ipad battery all the way before charging
,
should you let an ipad 2 completely drain before recharging
Click on a term to search for related topics.