NOTE: If you're viewing this via a mobile application... tap your screen to view in a compatible browsing window. It'll allow you to see the Baseband lists below.
Here we're going to outline all the Unlockable Basebands for the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 (GSM Only), iPhone 4S (GSM Only) & iPhone 5 (GSM Only.) and the methods of doing so. The most common misconception associated with iPhone Unlocking is that it relies on what iOS version you're running... this is false. Unlocking relies strictly on what Modem Firmware or "Baseband" your iDevice is on. In order to determine what Baseband your iDevice is follow this path, Settings>General>About... then look at the designating #'s next to "Modem Firmware." In addition, this outline does not include any iDevice that runs on a CDMA network (Verizon or Sprint). Those iDevices CANNOT BE UNLOCKED in any way outlined below.
In terms of Unlocking there are three methods...
1. The software version called "ultrasn0w" This is a package downloadable via Cydia, after a Jailbreak, through a stock repository that comes with Cydia. This method allows you to use any compatible GSM Sim. For the majority of users, this is the desired method since it doesn't require anything more than Jailbreaking. Then downloading the Ultrasn0w Package from Cydia. For iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 users on iOS 6.0, iOS 6.0.1, or iOS 6.1, you must install UltraSn0w Fixer for iOS 6 in order for your unlock to work.
2. The hardware version called a Sim Card Interposer The only Sim Imposters that we recommend to use are Gevey Sims. The Gevey Ultra (iPhone 4) & Gevey Ultra S (iPhone 4S). This is due to it being the only legal option, in most areas, because it does not require you to dial an emergency number to complete the Unlock process. The Gevey Ultra (iPhone 4) supports iOS versions 4.0, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2 & 4.3.3. The Gevey Ultra supports the 1.59.00, 2.10.04, 3.10.01 & 4.10.01 Basebands. It will also support iOS 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.1 & 5.1.1 ONLY by preserving the 04.10.01 Baseband. The Gevey Ultra S (iPhone 4S) supports all iOS versions, 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.1 & 5.1.1. As well as all basebands; 1.0.11, 1.013, 1.0.14, 2.0.10 & 2.0.12. There are MANY Sim Card Imposters sold under the “Gevey” or “Ultra” name that simply do not work. Thus, we recommend that Gevey products only be purchased from a trusted supplier like Applenberry.com.
3. Installing the 6.15.00 iPad Baseband (3G & 3GS Only) Installing the iPad BB should only be utilized as a last resort. WARNING!!! The iPad BB IS NOT compatible w/ iPhone 3GS' manufactured during or after week 34 of 2011 (see below to determine when your 3GS was manufactured). Doing so will render the cellular radio inoperable. Installing the iPad BB will essentially LOCK it to this BB and, in most cases, cause your iDevice to lose GPS capabilities. Any future iOS updates will require updating w/ a custom IPSW. UPDATE!!! The newest version of redsn0w v. 0.9.14b2 will allow users w/ a 3G or compatible 3GS' (mentioned above) to downgrade from the iPad BB back to the 05.13.04 BB. Thus regaining full use of your GPS fuctionality and allow you to upgrade your iOS using stock IPSWs as opposed to creating a custom IPSW. If in the event you choose to take this route... the 6.15.00 iPad BB can be acquired via an option during the Jailbreak process using redsn0w.
*** To determine the manufacture date of your iPhone 3GS you check the 3rd, 4th and 5th digits of your serial number. The 3rd digit is the year(i.e. if it was an "8" your phone was manufactured in 2008, a “1” was manufactured in 2011). The 4th and 5th digits are the week of that year in which it was manufactured (if the 4th digit is a "3" and the 5th digit is a "4" then your iPhone was manufactured in the 34th week).***
For new bootrom 3GS users. You can try another method to have your baseband downgraded to a feasible baseband. This mandates that you have iOS 4.1 blobs for your device. If you do not have them for your device, this method will not work.
- Downgrade your iPhone 3GS (new bootrom) to iOS 4.1
- Flash your 3GS with the iPad Baseband.
- Downgrade your iPad Baseband to 05.13.04
- Upgrade your iOS while preserving your baseband
- Jailbreak your device and unlock using UltraSn0w. Use an UltraSn0w Fixer if applicable
Below we will list each iDevice, it's Unlockable & non-Unlockable Basebands, and what method is required for that particular Baseband.
iPhone 3G Basebands Unlockable Unlock Method iOS Supported 04.26.08 YES Ultrasn0w Up to iOS 4.2.1 05.11.07 YES Ultrasn0w Up to iOS 4.2.1 05.12.01 YES Ultrasn0w Up to iOS 4.2.1 05.13.04 YES Ultrasn0w Up to iOS 4.2.1 05.14.02 YES Install iPad Baseband + UltraSn0w Up to iOS 4.2.1 05.15.04 YES Install iPad Baseband + UltraSn0w Up to iOS 4.2.1 iPhone 3GS Basebands Unlockable Unlock Method 04.26.08 YES Ultrasn0w Up to iOS 6.1 05.11.07 YES Ultrasn0w Up to iOS 6.1 05.12.01 YES Ultrasn0w Up to iOS 6.1 05.13.04 YES Ultrasn0w Up to iOS 6.1 05.14.02 YES Install iPad Baseband + UltraSn0w Up to iOS 6.1 05.15.04 YES Install iPad Baseband + UltraSn0w Up to iOS 6.1 05.16.00 YES Install iPad Baseband + UltraSn0w Up to iOS 6.1 05.16.02 YES Install iPad Baseband + UltraSn0w Up to iOS 6.1 05.16.05 YES Install iPad Baseband + UltraSn0w Up to iOS 6.1 05.16.07 YES Install iPad Baseband + UltraSn0w Up to iOS 6.1 05.16.08 YES Install iPad Baseband + UltraSn0w Up to iOS 6.1 iPhone 4 (GSM ONLY) Basebands Unlockable Unlock Method 01.59.00 YES Ultrasn0w or Gevey Ultra Up to iOS 5.1.1 02.10.04 YES Gevey Ultra Up to iOS 5.1.1 03.10.01 YES Gevey Ultra Up to iOS 5.1.1 04.10.01 YES Gevey Ultra Up to iOS 5.1.1 04.11.08 NO N/A - 04.12.01 NO N/A - 04.12.02 NO N/A - 04.12.05 NO N/A - iPhone 4S (GSM) Basebands Unlockable Unlock Method 01.00.11 YES Gevey Ultra S Up to iOS 6.1.2 01.00.13 YES Gevey Ultra S Up to iOS 6.1.2 01.00.14 YES Gevey Ultra S Up to iOS 6.1.2 02.00.10 YES Gevey Ultra S Up to iOS 6.1.2 02.00.12 YES Gevey Ultra S Up to iOS 6.1.2 03.00.04 YES Gevey Ultra S Up to iOS 6.1.2 03.04.01 YES Gevey Ultra S Up to iOS 6.1.2 03.04.02 YES Gevey Ultra S Up to iOS 6.1.2 iPhone 4S (CDMA) 01.00.11 YES Gevey Ultra S CDMA Up to iOS 5.1.1 01.00.13 YES Gevey Ultra S CDMA Up to iOS 5.1.1 01.00.14 YES Gevey Ultra S CDMA Up to iOS 5.1.1 02.00.10 YES Gevey Ultra S CDMA Up to iOS 5.1.1 02.00.12 YES Gevey Ultra S CDMA Up to iOS 5.1.1 03.00.04 NO N/A - 03.04.01 NO N/A - 03.04.02 NO N/A - iPhone 5/5C Basebands Unlockable Unlock Method Any Yes R-SIM 7 or above iPhone 5S - Basebands Unlockable Unlock Method Any Yes R-SIM 8 or above
A special thanks to Jmills87 & f4780y for their expertise with the Jailbreaking/Unlocking world & input regarding this outline. I've learned a great deal from you both... thank you very much!NO