To register for an account, click here...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Need a shoulder to cry on....

Ok, then, here we go -- iOS 6.1 jb.

I have lived with my Ipad3 and Iphone 4s at iOS 5.1 since last summer, both jb since october, both working perfectly!

(I have another Ipad 2 as "reference" - now at iOs 6.1 -- that Ipad belongs to mum (age 86..) -- so I can see how the Apple looks like shipped from the apple :-) )

Now then, I started with Iphone 4s. I am now almost done with the iOS 6.1 upgrade. The OS upgrade went fine, just 30 mins. But the upgrade deleted all my files and photos, now Itunes are copying back 30 GB of data, it will take approx 2 hours :-(

I am kind of scared, mostly because I am not really understand every techical word you people say on this forum and JB pages. Did I do something wrong. Why do I have to completely restore everything ?

When I have completed the Iphone 4S up to 6.1 and superbowl is over and the redsn0w to 6.1 is finally "patched", I guess I will have to spend several hours in putting back all my Cydia apps/mods. Could I have speeded up this process, any backups I should have known of.

You see,
    next is my Ipad 3. Looking forward to several hours of upgrading and jb - scares me. Maybe i just should wait for the iOS 6.1.1 and that jb version, or maybe I should get advice in ipad forums net on how to do that in a more "fast way"

In short -- is it worth the trouble? What is the big about 6.1 ??

Member #
    You need to try and prepare. What I mean is please transfer your photos beforehand. And whatever else. I NEVER keep the only copy of ANYTHING on my phone. My update took minutes. I feel your pain but I think a little preparation would cut your time (and potential for problems) tremendously..
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

Member #
    I never, ever have original works on any Idevice :-)

its safe on my external disks and Macbook pro, then I copy most of it to Dropbox. I have approx 10 GB of photos, thay are safe on a mac mini used solely for Itunes and photos.

So I am kind of many copies, maybe i should relax and keep only two copies, on on extrernal, on on ipad / Iphone .-)

what I am kind of missing, is the superfast streaming of my 10 gB photocollection to my idevices, when such things as restore happens. Of course, i could have had them on my Dropbox, but on travel, far far away from any wi fi - it is is important to have access to my photos at my iphone (Ipad). At moment, i havent found any app that works better for my use than the "built in" Phot app (oh yes, I do have tried a lot of phot apps, nope, they simply dont work.) I m not a pro, just a happy retired travelling around sacred places in Europe.....
    Last edited by MorAase; 02-03-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    598 times
    If the device was jailbroken, you should've backed them up using PKGBackup from Cydia. Or you should've manually backed them up before restoring. Always perform regular backups every so often just in case something happens to go wrong.
    iPhone 4S iOS 8.0b2 || iPad Mini 16 GB iOS 7.0.4 Evasi0n7||AppleTV2 iOS 5.2 Seas0nPass
    Use your common sense, Google, and the Search Bar
    willerz2@iphoneforums.net
    Please read and abide by the forum rules by clicking on the kitty->

Member #
    Thank you!

That was the best tip I ever have got in the jb issue!! Thanks!!

Now, I have finished the upgr of my Iphone 4S to iOS 6.1. Everything is in place, of course no jb no Cydia, yet.

So my Ipad 3. Just done a complete backup with pkgbackup to my dropbox Should I really do the same, up to 6.1 by Itunes restore, losing all the nice Cydia app / mod I really cant live without ?

There was some issues about that cydia backup app

A. Doesnt work with ios 6.xx
    B. Iphone format. Works on my ipad, but looks weird

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    598 times
    Yeah, unfortunately, it's for the iPhone's display, but it doesn't matter since the main thing is that it backs up everything. Make sure that you read the instructions when using.
    iPhone 4S iOS 8.0b2 || iPad Mini 16 GB iOS 7.0.4 Evasi0n7||AppleTV2 iOS 5.2 Seas0nPass

Member #
    It didnt work

After a sucessful 6.1 update and evasion om my iPhone I also tried the same on my iPad
    After a 6.1 clean install and a sucessful evasion. I tried to restore my files on IPad Smith Pkgbackup.

Nope. After a sucessful (?) restore It restarted and got stuck in safe mode

I have tried all the help stuff including crash report and removing most Cydia. Nope. Still stuck in failsafe mode

Last point - Ask for help!

Ok
    I guess this Pkgbackup was no good, i will have to do the restore ITunes as I did with my iPhone ?
    Why was i recomended Pkgbackup if it is causing such trouble ?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    598 times

Need a shoulder to cry on....

Problems would occur with the application if you use the pirated version fall paid versions there are no troubles at all as I have already restored nine out of 10 of my idevices using pkgbackup. That or you didn't back up your pkgbackup file, reinstall pkgbackup after the jailbreak and restore the pkgbackup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MorAase
    Ok, then, here we go -- iOS 6.1 jb.

I have lived with my Ipad3 and Iphone 4s at iOS 5.1 since last summer, both jb since october, both working perfectly!

(I have another Ipad 2 as "reference" - now at iOs 6.1 -- that Ipad belongs to mum (age 86..) -- so I can see how the Apple looks like shipped from the apple :-) )

Now then, I started with Iphone 4s. I am now almost done with the iOS 6.1 upgrade. The OS upgrade went fine, just 30 mins. But the upgrade deleted all my files and photos, now Itunes are copying back 30 GB of data, it will take approx 2 hours :-(

I am kind of scared, mostly because I am not really understand every techical word you people say on this forum and JB pages. Did I do something wrong. Why do I have to completely restore everything ?

When I have completed the Iphone 4S up to 6.1 and superbowl is over and the redsn0w to 6.1 is finally "patched", I guess I will have to spend several hours in putting back all my Cydia apps/mods. Could I have speeded up this process, any backups I should have known of.

You see,
    next is my Ipad 3. Looking forward to several hours of upgrading and jb - scares me. Maybe i just should wait for the iOS 6.1.1 and that jb version, or maybe I should get advice in ipad forums net on how to do that in a more "fast way"

In short -- is it worth the trouble? What is the big about 6.1 ??
    Yeah it could've went a little quicker with your cydia apps. Download pkgbackup and it will backup all your cydia apps and tweaks to it choice of places. 6.1 is great. Smooth and lots of updates an fixes. Ur doing a great job by taking ur time. Have a great day.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by willerz2 View Post
    Problems would occur with the application if you use the pirated version fall paid versions there are no troubles at all as I have already restored nine out of 10 of my idevices using pkgbackup. That or you didn't back up your pkgbackup file, reinstall pkgbackup after the jailbreak and restore the pkgbackup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 
    ????

I didnt undertand you. I paid my USD 5 for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links