To register for an account, click here...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: SMS Backup

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30
    Member #
    26095

    SMS Backup

    Hello everyone. I am come here recently from a Droid X that unexpectedly died on me. I am getting used to the iPhone although I have noticed it is not as customizable as the Droid without jailbreaking (which I am considering). One thing that I miss and do need is someway to backup my text messages. I have an ex that is really not nice and a pain and I have backed up all my texts (sent and received) for the past 1.5 years in case they would be needed/helpful in legal proceedings. I am looking for something similar to this for the iPhone but I am so new that I don't know if anything like this exist. Any help would be appreciated.



  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30
    Member #
    26095
    Thanks for the responses...I am overwhelmed by all the help offered...lol

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    7,033
    Member #
    11607
    Liked
    63 times
    Your SMS are auto backup in your iTunes. You can find the backup files in your computer at this location: first enable hidden files then navigate to User-UserName-AppData-Roaming-Apple Conputer-MobileSync-Backup.
    You can use tool like backup extractor or SMS extrator from Internet to extract your SMS from your most recent backup file.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30
    Member #
    26095
    Quote Originally Posted by bab2010 View Post
    Your SMS are auto backup in your iTunes. You can find the backup files in your computer at this location: first enable hidden files then navigate to User-UserName-AppData-Roaming-Apple Conputer-MobileSync-Backup.
    You can use tool like backup extractor or SMS extrator from Internet to extract your SMS from your most recent backup file.
    Where do I go to enable hidden files then user then...?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    7,033
    Member #
    11607
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tntlassiter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bab2010 View Post
    Your SMS are auto backup in your iTunes. You can find the backup files in your computer at this location: first enable hidden files then navigate to User-UserName-AppData-Roaming-Apple Conputer-MobileSync-Backup.
    You can use tool like backup extractor or SMS extrator from Internet to extract your SMS from your most recent backup file.
    Where do I go to enable hidden files then user then...?
    What computer are u using? Mac or windows?
    Last edited by bab2010; 07-22-2011 at 08:27 AM.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30
    Member #
    26095
    Quote Originally Posted by bab2010 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tntlassiter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bab2010 View Post
    Your SMS are auto backup in your iTunes. You can find the backup files in your computer at this location: first enable hidden files then navigate to User-UserName-AppData-Roaming-Apple Conputer-MobileSync-Backup.
    You can use tool like backup extractor or SMS extrator from Internet to extract your SMS from your most recent backup file.
    Where do I go to enable hidden files then user then...?
    What computer are u using? Mac or windows?
    Windows

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    7,033
    Member #
    11607
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tntlassiter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bab2010 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tntlassiter View Post

    Where do I go to enable hidden files then user then...?
    What computer are u using? Mac or windows?
    Windows
    If you are on a windows then open
    My Computer folder, you clic on organize tab at top left conner >folder and search options. in the popup wondow clic on tab "view" then mark "show hidden files, folders and drives"> apply> ok/ when that's done, follow the address to your backup files.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30
    Member #
    26095
    Quote Originally Posted by bab2010 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tntlassiter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bab2010 View Post

    What computer are u using? Mac or windows?
    Windows
    If you are on a windows then open
    My Computer folder, you clic on organize tab at top left conner >folder and search options. in the popup wondow clic on tab "view" then mark "show hidden files, folders and drives"> apply> ok/ when that's done, follow the address to your backup files.
    I got it to work. It isn't quite as easy as the droid but it will work. I thank you very much!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    7,033
    Member #
    11607
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tntlassiter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bab2010 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tntlassiter View Post

    Windows
    If you are on a windows then open
    My Computer folder, you clic on organize tab at top left conner >folder and search options. in the popup wondow clic on tab "view" then mark "show hidden files, folders and drives"> apply> ok/ when that's done, follow the address to your backup files.
    I got it to work. It isn't quite as easy as the droid but it will work. I thank you very much!
    You are welcome and good to know that it's working.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4
    Member #
    47155
    What you're doing will give you access to the database files, but they're only readable if you use a SQLite database viewer and even so, you need to custom write SQL queries to get it into any kind of format resembling a readable conversation.

    Alternatively, you could use AllYourTexts. It lets you view your texts as normal conversations that you can copy/paste or export as text or HTML. You don't need to jailbreak your phone and you don't need to go manually digging through your backup folders.


    (Apologies if the screenshot with the ex hits a little close to home. It's just the standard screenshot)

    Full disclosure: I'm a developer for this program.
    Last edited by Nonsensical; 05-06-2012 at 02:14 PM.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. sms backup???
    By Cuddles in forum iPhone Apps
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-30-2011, 07:03 AM
  2. Backup..
    By Krlosx in forum Jailbreak Applications & Tweaks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 09:51 AM
  3. backup of the iphone
    By Unleashed in forum iPhone Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 07:17 AM
  4. backup
    By elaslew in forum iPhone General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 06:57 PM
  5. Restore from backup?
    By HUNTER1 in forum iPhone General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Search tags for this page

can icloud back up text l
,
do text messages save to icloud
,

does icloud back up text messages

,

does icloud backup text messages

,

does icloud save text messages

,
does icloud store deleted text messages
,

does icloud store text messages

,
does icloud store texts
,
how to save text messages on icloud
,
where are sms messages in icloud
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread