To register for an account, click here...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Scratches on the camera lens!

Hello
    I just recently got my Iphone 4 and have been using it for about 5 days.
    The back (main) camera lens is full of tiny scratches which reflects in light and are pretty visible, while on rest of the phone, there is not even the smallest sight of any scratches, just perfection
    Bad quality? How can it be? O_o
    Anyone else in the same situation?

Member #
    Ive heard from some other people about the same problem. Its because the lens on the camera sticks out just barely more than the rest of the phone. I assume you dont have a case?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alude904 View Post
    the lens on the camera sticks out just barely more than the rest of the phone
    That's why I left the factory protective plastic on the back of the phone untill I got a bumper for it. It' another stupid design flaw, remember the antenna? The phone looks too nice to be in a case or bumper, just to protect the lens and to keep your hands off the antenna.
    The 5er Driver

The "Neverlocked" Edition

Apple:"It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Member #
    After reading this thread today (I have the same problem) I found a site that sells a replacement cover. It was only $5 (ish) including shipping.

(I was unable to post a URL because I am a new member with 0 posts. While I understand the need to curtail spam it's frustrating when I just want to help :-)

dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.46576

It looks very easy to do yourself. I heard it was easy to take off the back of the iPhone4 so I tried it before ordering. It's so simple. Search in youtube for a video to help you. Short version is remove the 2 screws at the bottom, slide the cover up slightly (1/4 inch?) and it pops right off. Easy! Next you have to pop out the lens cover from the back glass. This proved to be much more difficult as it's glue in there. Be careful. I just kept working my fingernail around the lens cover on the inside of the back of the phone. Eventually it came out fairly easily, I just had to work at it. Then I put it all back together & am awaiting my replacement lens cover to swap in.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Just change the back plate, its cheap and easy!

Member #
    I heard it was easy to take off the back of the iPhone4 so I tried it before ordering. It's so simple. Search in youtube for a video to help you.

Member #

That's not the main problem.

Ive heard from some other people about the same problem. Its because the lens on the camera sticks out just barely more than the rest of the phone.
    The main problem is that this POS is PLASTIC. The stupidity of this is incredible: The entire front and back of the phone are glass, but the most optically important part is PLASTIC?

And THEN there's the stupidity of not recessing this lens into the back of the camera.

Apple never learns.

Member #
    My brother too experienced the same problem and from then he started using a protective cover. It will be like that of the soft Plastic case. The main thing about it is, it won't spoil the beauty of the iPhone.

Member #

pop the lens cover out

A lot of people will probably say not to do this because it will let dust in but I've done it with no problems so far.
    take the back off, use the screw driver you used to take the back off to push the lens cover out, put the back back on, simple, my photos were getting distorted by the scratches, but now I'm back to normal and I just occasionally remove the back to make sure not too much crud is getting in.
    simples ;-)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiusstrip View Post
    Ive heard from some other people about the same problem. Its because the lens on the camera sticks out just barely more than the rest of the phone.
    The main problem is that this POS is PLASTIC. The stupidity of this is incredible: The entire front and back of the phone are glass, but the most optically important part is PLASTIC?

And THEN there's the stupidity of not recessing this lens into the back of the camera.

Apple never learns.
    yep... the plastic is a huge bummer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links