To register for an account, click here...
    Member #

iPhone 4S using data when I'm doing nothing?

I'm on my wifi network at home and for the most part i'm not even really using my phone. Yet everytime i check, my data usage goes up. I'm not on a data plan so i only have 100MB of data and i'd rather i be able to use all that when i want to instead of using half of it for nothing. I activated the phone today and right now i have almost 2MB used already. I've been on my wifi network the whole time and i haven't even really been touching the phone that much, what is using up all my data? If it continues this way, i'll go through my 100MB without even intentionally using the data myself.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JooK
    I'm on my wifi network at home and for the most part i'm not even really using my phone. Yet everytime i check, my data usage goes up. I'm not on a data plan so i only have 100MB of data and i'd rather i be able to use all that when i want to instead of using half of it for nothing. I activated the phone today and right now i have almost 2MB used already. I've been on my wifi network the whole time and i haven't even really been touching the phone that much, what is using up all my data? If it continues this way, i'll go through my 100MB without even intentionally using the data myself.
    It could be the weather and stock widgets. Do you close apps that you have running in the background.
    iPhone4 16GB iOS 5 (stock) | iPad 64GB Wifi/3G 4.3.2 (redsn0w) | 13in White Macbook

Forum Rules Here iPhoneForums staff

Member #
    im not sure which apps are running in the background, but i turned off my cellular data for now, don't want to waste it all.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    im not sure which apps are running in the background, but i turned off my cellular data for now, don't want to waste it all.
    Double tap the home button and see what's coming up. If anything does jut hold it until it wiggles and tap the - sign
    iPhone4 16GB iOS 5 (stock) | iPad 64GB Wifi/3G 4.3.2 (redsn0w) | 13in White Macbook

Forum Rules Here iPhoneForums staff

Member #
    aright, did it and apparently just about all my apps were running lol. Closed them all. This should make my phone run faster as well as preserve the battery life too right?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    aright, did it and apparently just about all my apps were running lol. Closed them all. This should make my phone run faster as well as preserve the battery life too right?
    Well the phone runs pretty fast even when things are running in the background is your phone going to run faster yes thats wats suppose to happen are you goin to notice the difference most likely no

Saving battery yes well that is wats is said that will happen i personally dont see the difference

Congrats on your new iPhone 4s

Member #
    I know. I've had this, its normal b/c when you click on check DATA it is using data, that is why it's doing that. I had a thread about this long time ago, was also really upset, but they all like that and nothing you can do about it.

Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    There is a thread going on over at Macrumors about this issue and it seems to be much worse since iOS5. I noticed cell data being used while at home on wifi last night. I have so much stuff turned off on my phone that it's barely a smartphone anymore.

iOS5 using excessive cell data? - MacRumors Forums
    Last edited by xrayeyes; 11-14-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    which might be the reason for this terrible battery drainage.

i just read that whole thread and wow this icloud issue is definitely at fault for the battery drainage
    Last edited by white4s; 11-15-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links