To register for an account, click here...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

How to change my carrier name in ios 5

Can somebody teach me how to change my carrier name in iPhone 4 iOS 5 without jailbreak ?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No can do with out jailbreak
    IPad 1 32GB WIFI 5.1.2 Stock traded in for new Air 16GB wifi 4.0.2
    IPhone 4 32GB Verizon 5.1.1 Black Jailbroken with Absinthe 5.0.4 Windows
    I Phone 5 16GB Verizon 6.0.2 Black Jailbroken with Evasion now updated to 7.0.4 and ready for evasi0n

Member #
    But If I try to get my sim card out from my iPhone , then edit and save the carrier name in other old model mobile phone setting then put it back to iPhone .. Did it change??

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    439 times
    That will not change your carrier name on your new iPhone running iOS 5. Jailbreaking your phone and installing an app that mods your carrier name is the only way to accomplish this. From what I understand, only a Tethered jailbreak is available for iOS 5 which requires it to be connected to your computer upon rebooting your phone. Before too long an Untethered jailbreak will be finished and make all of us in the community very happy!!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    You can change carrier name without jailbreaking. The carrier name is simply set by a plist file.

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app

Open up N81AP.plist and change the "device-name" to whatever you want as your Carrier text.
    White iPhone5(CDMA) - iOS 6.1.2 - Jailbroken with Evasi0n 1.5
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Have a jailbreaking/unlocking question? Ask me
    Forum Rules Here(PLEASE READ!) iPhoneForums staff

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    In case it's not clear, you do this without jailbreaking by modifying the plist which is stored in your iTunes backup on your PC then restore the backup, thus changing the name... Make sure you perform a backup just before you change the plist, then restore the changes immediately. That way you won't lose any other data.

You can use PC tools like iBackupBot to mess with your backup files... Just be careful. Don't go changing anything else unless you know what you are doing!
    13" MacBook Pro 8GB 2.7GHz i7 500GB | iPad3 4G 64GB 5.1.1 (absinthe) | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.1.1 (redsn0w) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme) |
    iPhone5 32GB 6.0 (stock) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.1.1 (absinthe) | iPhone4 32GB 4.3.3 (jbme) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme) |
    iPod Classic 6G 160GB (stock) | AppleTV 2G 5.0.2 (seas0npass)

iPhoneForums support only legitimate jailbreakers. Don't use your jailbreak to pirate or steal!
    Please review the hacking section rules before posting.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by f4780y View Post
    In case it's not clear, you do this without jailbreaking by modifying the plist which is stored in your iTunes backup on your PC then restore the backup, thus changing the name... Make sure you perform a backup just before you change the plist, then restore the changes immediately. That way you won't lose any other data.

You can use PC tools like iBackupBot to mess with your backup files... Just be careful. Don't go changing anything else unless you know what you are doing!
    I do use iBackupBot but cannot find any "N81AP.plist" within the backup files.

Are you sure this is also for iPhone and not only iPod?

I did this before successfully on iOS 4 but the file to be modified was "com.apple.springboard.plist", with adding <key>SBFakeCarrier</key> and <string>yourtext</string>. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work anymore on iOS 5 although the modification in the file still exists.

Is it possible the "N81AP.plist" is called differently on my backup files? What file exactly do I need to search for iBackupBot?

Many thanks in advance!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmills87 View Post
    You can change carrier name without jailbreaking. The carrier name is simply set by a plist file.

Open up N81AP.plist and change the "device-name" to whatever you want as your Carrier text.
    To help the newer people that have never worked with plists before Jmills87, do you have a recommendation on the max number of characters that should be used to avoid creating an error?

The reason for the clarification: The same trick is used in Android but if you add more characters than the number of characters originally used, there were problems in Android 2.2X or older (I have never personally tested it on 2.3 or newer).
    Facts are the first casualty of bad information.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmills87 View Post

Could you go in to a bit more detail. I don't know how to get to sysrem/library/etc.

Member #
    Yes, please let us know where to find the plist to edit. Many thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links