To register for an account, click here...
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Is there an App Manager app for IOS 5?

Coming from Android there are apps than with a couple of clicks can kill all the background apps. Is there something like this that works on IOS 5? Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    iOS apps aren't written that poorly. So technically, unless you are jailbreaking, you don't need an "app killer".

Plus to stop the "flame war", iOS has very limited background app execution thread capabilities. IE not a lot of apps can run in background to begin with.

And if you think killing the app out of memory is a good thing because it frees up memory for other apps, you have read way too much bogus hype from the Android world. Since that issue was squashed when 2.1 was released.
    Facts are the first casualty of bad information.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    you want to kill apps - hit the Home button twice, hold down on the app you want to kill in the bar that shows up in the bottom of the screen, touch the X at the top corner. There, you have killed the app. takes a matter of a second or two - no need to run an app just to kill another app.
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
    MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
    iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV Gen 3 & Gen2

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull One View Post
    iOS apps aren't written that poorly. So technically, unless you are jailbreaking, you don't need an "app killer".

Plus to stop the "flame war", iOS has very limited background app execution thread capabilities. IE not a lot of apps can run in background to begin with.

And if you think killing the app out of memory is a good thing because it frees up memory for other apps, you have read way too much bogus hype from the Android world. Since that issue was squashed when 2.1 was released.
    Thanks. I realize Froyo had better mem managagment. I just didn't know how IOS worked and if it had the same problem like 2.1 and older android did with many apps kept in memory.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    This iPhone is getting way better. Ugh! I hated that I always had to kill the background apps. Now I don't have to worry about that. Awesome.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bustos82
    This iPhone is getting way better. Ugh! I hated that I always had to kill the background apps. Now I don't have to worry about that. Awesome.
    Can you believe that there are android fans who actually like killing apps? I don't understand why. They prefer to have it the Android way, and they say that ALL of the iPhone apps in the background waste the battery. I just laugh. They don't know iOS very well.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneTibster

Can you believe that there are android fans who actually like killing apps? I don't understand why. They prefer to have it the Android way, and they say that ALL of the iPhone apps in the background waste the battery. I just laugh. They don't know iOS very well.

Ill back you up on that cause I was one of those.... Lmao! Today a great example two of my buddy's said how's the iPhone and I told him freaking awesome don't have to worry about damn app killer or having it plugged in all the time.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneTibster View Post

Yeah, I can believe it. Up until Froyo it was just something you got used to doing. It's not hard to imagine they carried that habit over to the iPhone.
    Last edited by Rocko; 10-28-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Member #

understanding "killing" an app

What you seem to miss is when we refer to "killing" an app it just means closing it to clear memory. I have both an Android and iPhone5. Found an app for the iPHone that shows what is running in the background and believe me, just hitting the home button does not close the app. It is still running in the background. Who needs that? I also am looking for an app that closes (kills) a running app. My Android has one and I use it all the time.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bustos82 View Post
    thanks u so much

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links