To register for an account, click here...
    Member #

Question iMessage using wrong number

Hi all. First post so please be gentle.

I am using an iPhone 4 and upgraded to iOS5. One of the main benefits I find to this is iMessage. However, like everything good in life, I have a problem with it.

When I bought the iPhone 4 some months ago, I ported from one network to another. When I went o the new network the phone had a number assigned to it but I kept my original number during the port over. Now when I use iMessage the phone is using the phones' number as opposed to my actual telephone number that everyone has saved in their phone. Therefore, when I iMessage them I get a reply saying "Who's this?" as an unrecognised number is appearing on their screen.

I have attempted to change my number in the phone settings and on iTunes but to no avail. I'm aware I can also use my e-mail address but I don;t want everyone to have to save that aswell.

Any ideas please?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishiPhone View Post
    Hi all. First post so please be gentle.

I am using an iPhone 4 and upgraded to iOS5. One of the main benefits I find to this is iMessage. However, like everything good in life, I have a problem with it.

When I bought the iPhone 4 some months ago, I ported from one network to another. When I went o the new network the phone had a number assigned to it but I kept my original number during the port over. Now when I use iMessage the phone is using the phones' number as opposed to my actual telephone number that everyone has saved in their phone. Therefore, when I iMessage them I get a reply saying "Who's this?" as an unrecognised number is appearing on their screen.

I have attempted to change my number in the phone settings and on iTunes but to no avail. I'm aware I can also use my e-mail address but I don;t want everyone to have to save that aswell.

Any ideas please?
    I can't help in any way yet, sadly, but if it's any consolation I have the exact same problem. I will return with an answer if I find one!

Ok fixed! I basically turned off both facetime then imessage in the settings, then turned them back on and the number has changed. There is a more in depth description here, but I didn't need to follow all the steps before everything was working again!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Cheers, Steve
    Last edited by meady100; 10-21-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by meady100 View Post
    I can't help in any way yet, sadly, but if it's any consolation I have the exact same problem. I will return with an answer if I find one!

Ok fixed! I basically turned off both facetime then imessage in the settings, then turned them back on and the number has changed. There is a more in depth description here, but I didn't need to follow all the steps before everything was working again!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Cheers, Steve
    Excellent Steve. That's it sorted. Thanks a million!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links