To register for an account, click here...
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to make Push work with iOS5? Emails not appearing in lockscreen

Member #

How to make Push work with iOS5? Emails not appearing in lockscreen

Hello,
    I had no problems with Push in earlier OSs, but now, although Push is turned on, new email notifications don't appear in the lockscreen on my iPhone 4. All notification/lockscreen settings are correctly turned on. I've rebooted, turned settings off then on again. I can hear the email [Exchange account] arrive on my laptop; nothing pops up on the lockscreen of phone to indicate I've received anything. Appreciate any help.

Member #
    I am having the same issue with iCloud, push is not working on my iPhone 4 or my iPad.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    I am having the same issue with iCloud, push is not working on my iPhone 4 or my iPad.
    The only way push will work on my iPhone 4 is to leave the mail app open in the multitask bar, if mail is closed completely, push will not work. The iPad works with mail app turned on or off.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    The only way push will work on my iPhone 4 is to leave the mail app open in the multitask bar, if mail is closed completely, push will not work. The iPad works with mail app turned on or off.
    That is very incorrect. The push listening app is run at the OS level, not a the user level and hence doesn't require ANY app to be open for a notification to be shown or responded to. If you wish to confirm this for yourself, reboot the phone and then send it an email for any address that is setup for push notification.

BTW, I did this exact test to make sure I would never miss a server alert from work.
    Facts are the first casualty of bad information.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull One View Post
    That is very incorrect. The push listening app is run at the OS level, not a the user level and hence doesn't require ANY app to be open for a notification to be shown or responded to. If you wish to confirm this for yourself, reboot the phone and then send it an email for any address that is setup for push notification.

BTW, I did this exact test to make sure I would never miss a server alert from work.
    He's right Skull. I would agree that it's not supposed to be that way, but my own experience plus that of many others who have been posting here lately indicates that it's either a bug, or there's something else affecting it - maybe another installed app that uses push? Maybe a setting? I've fought this since iOS 5 came out and have not been able to get it working either. Keeping the mail app open is a workaround, not a fix. Maybe you can help figure out why this is happening to some of us.
    Dave

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull One

I just tested this with my iPhone 4 that won't receive Push emails. Leaving the email App running in the background does allow me to receive the pushed mail tested this by sending three emails two minutes apart from each other and they were received within seconds. Then sent four more after closing the App and those were not received until I opened the app again.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    Very interesting to say the least. I have never seen this issue under iOS 4, 5 beta or 5 GM. And I no theories at present to explain why a difference could exist. But I am dwelling on it.
    Facts are the first casualty of bad information.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by egrolman View Post
    Hello,
    I had no problems with Push in earlier OSs, but now, although Push is turned on, new email notifications don't appear in the lockscreen on my iPhone 4. All notification/lockscreen settings are correctly turned on. I've rebooted, turned settings off then on again. I can hear the email [Exchange account] arrive on my laptop; nothing pops up on the lockscreen of phone to indicate I've received anything. Appreciate any help.
    i hope you got it all sorted out by now, but if not.

try Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > Fetch New Data (make sure push is turned ON - and set a time limit for when you want the emails retrieved), and that should work. my emails show on my lock screen all the time, with the same settings enabled.

also, try Settings > Notifications > (scroll to Mail) Mail > (make sure notifications Center is ON, then make sure View In Lock Screen is ON

hope this helped!
    Last edited by ectopudding; 10-17-2011 at 04:18 PM.
    iPhone 4 | 32GB | Black | iOS 5 | AT&T | Stock
    iMessage Apple ID:

Note: PM's are accepted from Contacts and Moderators only.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ectopudding View Post
    i hope you got it all sorted out by now, but if not.

try Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > Fetch New Data (make sure push is turned ON - and set a time limit for when you want the emails retrieved), and that should work. my emails show on my lock screen all the time, with the same settings enabled.

also, try Settings > Notifications > (scroll to Mail) Mail > (make sure notifications Center is ON, then make sure View In Lock Screen is ON

hope this helped!
    Sure that will work, but it's not Push. That's automatically fetching at a given time interval. As the instructions say, "The schedule below is used when push is off or for applications which do not support push...."
    Dave

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    I have no issues with receiving push. So I would have to go with skull one on this one.
    iPhone4 16GB iOS 5 (stock) | iPad 64GB Wifi/3G 4.3.2 (redsn0w) | 13in White Macbook

Forum Rules Here iPhoneForums staff

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links